The so-called “Hohnsteiner Kasper“ (Hohnstein Punch) is a famous character and was created by Max Jacob who set up a puppet theatre in Hohnstein in 1928 with his characteristic figures featuring carved heads. A stage was set up first in the local castle and later in its own theatre, attracting guests from far afield. Up to this day, the famous puppets are being produced in Hohnstein, and there is a yearly puppet theatre festival in town.
Distance 2.6 km
The “Hohnsteiner Kasperpfad“ reminds visitors of a major tradition in this town. It starts at the “Eiche“ carpark where hikers can pick up leaflets at an information point. Follow the trail markers (a red dot) and you’ll automatically get to the trail’s eight stations. You’ll start off by walking along the street to Ehrenberg before getting to a trail to the left where you’ll find the first station. Continue here while enjoying the view of the town. Then cross the street and follow the markers through the town, past a herbs garden and up to a subway where you’ll have to turn left. The trail now runs along the foot of Hohnstein Castle. End by visiting the Punch exhibition in the tourist office, before returning to the car park.
Great hiking trail for children!
Update: May 25, 2021
Bitte beachten: im Nationalpark Sächsische Schweiz dürfen in der Kernzone nur gekennzeichnete Wege begangen werden! Bei Zuwiderhandlungen können Geldbußen ausgesprochen werden.
Tips and hints
Tel. + 49 (0) 35975 19433
Getting thereIn Pirna, cross the new Elbe bridge (“Sachsenbrücke“). Take the first exit for S167 to the left. Follow the signs for Bastei. Where the major road makes a bend to the left, stay on the road to continue on S164 and up the hill. After 1,1 kilometres turn left on Lohmener Straße and towards Lohmen. After Lohmen continue on S165 towards Bastei and then towards Rathewalde. After Rathewalde you’ll get to the “ Hockstein“ crossing. Continue down on the old race track and up again to Hohnstein. In Hohnstein, the “Eiche“ car park is right next to the main thoroughfare.
ParkingCar park "Eiche"
33U 437466 5648021
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view